Current OTBU Collective Agreement “Precis”
As you are all aware of, we ratified our Collective Agreement back on December 16. Below are the most relevant Articles that pertain to you as a Supply Teacher/LTO. The areas that are in brackets and italicised are my comments pertaining to the Article’s actual intent or understanding. The contract should be up on our web site now for complete perusal. If there are still explanations needed please email me at my OSSTF email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705-428-3537.
Part A - Central Agreement:
· The Contract expires on August 31st of 2017
· Sick leave credit is 5.5 days per full semester with a 60 day short term disability leave pegged at 90% of salary.
· There will be an exploratory Regulation 274 committee made up of Government and OSSTF officials with an end date of March 31. After that they will present their combined findings to the Bargaining agents.
Part B - Local Agreement:
· (All strips that the Board had insisted upon were ultimately withdrawn).
· Several housekeeping Articles were cleaned up; mostly definitions, redundant items, and out dated articles deleted.
· Article 12.02 (c): Persons repeatedly not making themselves unavailable could be taken off SCARRI.
· Article 12.03 (a): Commitment days are now back to having to do 10 each semester for a total of 20 for the full school year. It is not 20 per year as in the last contract. (This was a point the Board did not want to back down on whatsoever).
· Article 12.03 (g): There is now much tighter language on when applying for leaves. Leaves commencing in September have to be in to the Board office by June 1 of the previous semester. Leave applications have to be in to the Board in January for Semester II leaves. (there was lots of abuse regarding leaves in the past)
· Article 14.02 (a): Now if daily supply assignments are cancelled due to weather and, therefore, resultant bus cancellations, you should monitor media outlets or the Board’s web site to find that information out. The Board will attempt to call out but if it is in the media, news etc. the job is deemed cancelled if buses are not running.
· Article 15.05 (a): Con Ed teachers will now get a credit of 1:1 for any previous teaching experience to be paid retroactively back to Sept 1/2015. (It used to be what we considered punitive at a ratio of 2:1). So if one has 5 years teaching experience you will be paid at Grid level 5 starting Semester 1. (this is a big win for us and we have been fighting for years to change this unfair situation)
· Article 15.07 (a): Pay will be a lump sum bonus payment of 1% for 2015/16, a 1% increase as of September 2016, and a .5% increase as of February 1, 2017. (Totally it is an increase of 2.5%. The bonus tied to this year’s pay will simply be calculated on how much you have made gross throughout this year and will be paid out sometime this summer - 2016)
· Article 15.09 (a) [i]: With regards to daily pay, no one shall get paid more than 1.17 of a day’s pay. As an example; if one has a 2/3’s LTO (.667), you can work a ½ (.5) day of supply to = 1.17. (This also was an insistence by the Board’s negotiation’s team. Initially they demanded a pay cap of only 1.0 but we pushed and got it to 1.17).
· Article 15.10 (a): Cancellation time has increased to 75 minutes from the previous 60 minutes. If a job is cancelled during that time frame you can still report to the school in question and be given a different assignment for the day or ½ day. (This is an increase of 15 minutes in this article, another win for us).
· Article 15.14: For the purposes of reporting EI hours, each day is deemed as being 8 hours in length.
· Article 19: The Board has given us a $2,000 stipend for Professional Development for all members. (This is the first time the Board has given us PD monies).